Can you straighten hair with blow dryer?
Short answer: Yes!
You should try to straighten your hair with a blow-dryer for two reasons: you can regulate the temperature, and the heat will not be directly applied to your hair.
A very common question is whether it is good to straighten your hair with a hairdryer instead of a flat iron. Of course, each method has its benefits. You can find more about that here.
In this article, we will be focusing on how to straighten hair with a blow-dryer correctly or in the right way.
READ MORE: Best Straightening Hair Dryer
How To Straighten Your Hair With A Blow Dryer
1- Prepare Your Hair First
Before you begin with hairstyling, preparing your hair correctly can make the process much more effective and easier.
It will also help you get silky and shiny hair after doing the styling process.
When it comes to straightening the hair, you do not necessarily have to use a flat iron every day. Your hairdryer can do the job as well as the iron.
- First, start preparing the hair by showering. As you are looking forward to straightening the hair, it will be more effective to use a hair straightening shampoo and conditioner. You can also use moisturizing hair musk for extra moisture in the hair.
- After getting out of the shower, use a towel or old t-shirt to remove the excess water. But be careful do not to rub the hair. It can make the hair frizzy and hard to manage. Instead, remove the water by squeezing the hair.
- Use heat protectant product to your hair to not get fry and damage in the process. Those products protect the hair from heat. And it is one important step you should never skip.
- Now, if you were doing all these steps in the bathroom, blow-drying in there is not a good idea. When you have taken a hot shower in the bathroom, the humidity level gets up. Extra humidity in the air can make your hair frizzy and unmanageable. So, it will be best if you get out of your bathroom and blow-dry your hair somewhere where there is no humidity.
- Finally, when your hair is ready for styling, it comes using a good-quality hairdryer with a nozzle. The nozzle will concentrate the heat to a certain point so that the curls will break up. Besides, the power of your hairdryer is also important. You can find it in the bottom part of the dryer. Never forget to check it before buying one.
However, here we have used BIO IONIC Goldpro Dryer. It has all the recent technologies and features, and we like its top-notch performance and build quality.
2- Start Straightening With Blow-dryer
- First of all, do not jump directly to the straightening process with the hairdryer.
- Stick with your hairdryer and use it on your hair for a few minutes to eliminate the excess water.
- Put your dryer about 3-5 inches from your head and make it dry about 80 percent without using any brush.
- While blow-drying you can use your other hand’s fingers to comb gently through your strands. Point the dryer about 45-degree angle. This will keep the cuticles closed and give you a smoother look.
- If you want to get the volume, you can blow-dry in the upside-down method.
Once you have finished drying your hair, you will need a round brush.
But make sure the bristles are wide enough.
You can also use a medium paddle brush with holes if you prefer.
Now section the top of your hair and pin it on the top of your head. Thus, it will not bother you while straightening your hair from the bottom to the top.
- Now attach the nozzle to the blow-dryer and then lay your nozzle flat against your hair and round, brushing your hair from the roots to the bottom.
- Take a small section of your hair and place it on top of your round brush and move the brush slowly to the down along with the blow dryer. In that time, do a little round brushing so that the strands will be perfectly sleek after finishing with that section and move on to another section and continue doing it.
- However, make sure you work really well on the root area before sliding the blow-dryer down to the end. Remember, while blow-drying your hair, it is essential to use the brush in a curling motion, especially if you are working on the tough area of your shafts, such as the roots or the ends.
A Tip: For those who do not want volume at the roots of their hair, wrap the section of your hair around the brush slide both the brush and the blow dryer down slowly.
As we have mentioned earlier, if you do not like to use a round brush, you can use a paddle brush the same way we have described above.
Now it’s time to seal the straightened hair.
The best way to seal it is by using a cool blowout by pressing your hairdryer’s cool shot button and sticking it on your hair for a few minutes.
If there remain any sections that you are not happy with, you can use your flat iron to give it the final touch-ups. If you are not too finicky, you can skip this part. However, most hair dryers have a cool shot button. If your hairdryer does not have any, buy a recent model dryer with this “cool shot button.”
READ MORE: Should You Blow Dry Wet Hair?
3- The Finishing Touch
To keep the straightened hair for longer and maintain the good health of your hair, you need to do a few things.
After straightening all the parts of your hair, you need to turn your hairdryer to the cool setting and blast your hair with cold air from the roots to the ends. This helps the strands stay flat and prevent frizzing.
Now, apply some hair serum or argan oil to keep the hair sleek, shiny, and straight.
Take a small amount of anti-frizz serum or argan oil and use your fingers to comb gently throughout your hair.
Some Important Thing to Remember when straightening your hair with a blow dryer
- Do not try to save money on your hairdryer. Buy a high-quality one with recent technology and features of hair dryer added.
- Check whether your blow dryer has cold airflow and ionizers. These features do fewer damages to your hair.
- If you have very long hair, you should use a comb with a bigger diameter.
- It would be best if you did not use a hair dryer daily. It will make your hair dry permanently and accelerate hair fragility.
- Stay out of using any chemical products while straightening your hair.
However, by straightening your hair with a blow-dryer, you will keep your hair healthier and obtain better results. If you have any questions on your mind or face trouble understanding any of the parts above, you can comment on the comment box below.
- Wikihow, How to Blow Dry Hair Straight
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Writer and Content Manager at InStraight. Lovella’s philosophy is that everybody’s beauty is merely a reflection of loving yourself . ♀️ She loves to write and discover new cultures. Find her on Facebook