Hair rebounding requires relaxing your hair(chemically) by breaking down(and then rebuilding) these bonds to change the current structure of your hair.
That being said, there is some aftercare involved that you should know before hair rebounding.
If these are not followed correctly, you can have severe impacts.
Let’s find out the essential aftercare guidelines to follow.
1. Wash Rebonded Hair After At Least 3 Days
The first thing you must do to your rebonded hair  is to wash it 3 days after the rebonding process.
Experts recommend it since this process takes time to acclimate to the newly obtained structure.
You will not get the desired results if you wash your hair before. Thus, washing your hair infrequently, 2-3 times a week, is better for your rebonded hair.
- Properly wet your hair
- Use a mild shampoo specifically for chemically treated hair
- Use a regular conditioner after washing your hair
- Apply a leave-in conditioner and let it sit until the next time you have to wash your hair
Check out: Best Shampoo for Rebonded Hair
2. Take Showers With Cold Water
While we recommend you wash your rebonded hair as little as possible, you can still shower to keep yourself clean and refreshed.
In this regard, take showers with cold water at a suitable temperature.
Taking cold showers is essential in retaining hair moisture while protecting hair shafts from damage.
- Lukewarm water can be a good alternative to cold water
- Use a shower cap, if it is not a washing day
- Use dry shampoo instead of wetting your rebonded hair
READ MORE: Rebonding and Straightening Difference
3. Deep Condition Your Rebonded Hair
Deep conditioning  is a vital step in rebonded hair treatment. The only difference from regular conditioners is, deep conditioning products are thick and applied for a longer period of time.
Due to the excessive use of chemicals in the rebonding process, hair looks dull. Deep conditioning restores your natural shine by improving hair texture.
You should deep condition your hair after rebonding takes place. It is better if you do it on the day you are washing your hair.
There are some deep conditioning products available online with natural ingredients that are useful for preparing deep conditioners. Make sure your deep conditioning products include the following elements:
- Aloe Vera
- Honey mixed with ingredients like Avocado, Coconut oil, Olive oil
- Grapeseed oil
- Mayonnaise and eggs
Follow these instructions:
- Wash hair with a mild shampoo and skip conditioning
- Properly dry your hair with a blow dryer containing tourmaline materials
- Apply your prepared deep conditioning pack from the roots to the ends
- Wait for 20-30 minutes
- Again, rinse off the hair with a mild shampoo and use regular conditioner
Check out: It’s A 10 Haircare Miracle Deep Conditioner
4. Blow Dry With Suitable Heat Settings
Blow drying is clearly essential since your rebonded hair needs to be kept dry all the time.
We recommend to avoid anything that makes your hair sweaty and wet.
You should always dry your hair with a quality blow dryer with tourmaline technology.
However, for rebonded hair, hair drying should be done in cool settings.
Your hair is easily damaged if it’s dried in hot settings. However, there are exceptions to this.
- In case of previously thick or kinky hair, dry in maximum heat and the lowest speed settings
- In case of prior curly and wavy hair, dry in medium heat and suitable speed settings
- In case of previously thin hair pr, dry in cool and high speed settings
5. Steam Hair Every Fortnight
Every 15 days, you need to steam your rebonded hair once. Hair becomes dry and brittle and loses its glow when you wash it less and dry it more.
Steaming your hair  makes your scalp healthy and opens hair follicles for better absorption of moisture.
Hair experts suggest not to use a steaming machine at saloons; instead, they say to do it in any simple way.
- Take a towel and wet it in warm water
- Apply 1-2 drops of hair serum
- Wrap the towel around your head when the towel is dry with moist heat
- Wait for 30 minutes and unwrap it, this will allow your hair to be deep conditioned as well
- Blow-dry or air-dry your hair
6. Trim Hair at Regular Intervals
Trimming is part of taking care of your hair, and especially for rebonded hair. It is essential to remove the split-ends of the strands from time to time after getting rebonded.
Through regular trimming, hair strands get the opportunity to grow out faster in a healthy way.
Visit your preferred salons for trimming at regular intervals; it can be once every 6-8 weeks.
If you cannot go to salons, buy a trimmer, and do it yourself. In case you decide trim at home:
- Bring your hair to the front and detangle with a wide-tooth comb
- Make strands, hold them, and trim
- Make sure you cut the spilled-ends straight
7. Hair Coating With Hair Serums
Hair coating means creating layers in your hair. The layers work as a safeguard from harmful elements.
When you go outside, the dust and pollutants in the air can affect your hair and scalp. Hence, you need to be aware of this fact and use hair serums after you rebonded your hair.
There are several types of serums available, depending on your hair type. Thin hair requires thickening serum, while fine and thick hair requires a lightweight one.
The serums protect your hair from damages caused by heat that apply to rebonded hair.
Therefore, purchase a suitable serum and use it every time you wash your hair. You may use it regularly as well.
8. Sleep With Straight Hair
- Drop the right amount of serum on your palm and rub it between palms
- Evenly apply it on your back hair and midsections
- Use more if necessary
Every time you go to bed to sleep, keep your hair straight.
While it may seem difficult to keep your hair straight when you are lying down, it is necessary.
Keep your straightened hair towards the floor while lying down. Do this strictly for at least 3 days after rebonding is finished. Afterward, your hair will retain its new shape and avoid tangles.
- Use silk or satin pillowcases for less friction and less damage
9. Appropriate Diet Containing Good Nutrition
An appropriate diet  means a diet full of nutrients. These ingredients include proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and minerals, iron, calcium, etc.
All are equally essential for your body as well as for the health and growth of your hair. Since rebonded hair requires a lot of attention, you need to maintain a healthy balanced diet.
Ensure you have a balanced diet. Keep in mind that your hair will get better with time, through proper nutrition, no matter what products you put on your rebonded hair. You should include the followings:
- Almonds, nuts, sprouts, cashew nuts
- Green vegetables, fruits
Check: Side Effects of Rebonding
10. Hair Masks for Nourishment
Hair rebonding treatment can lead to extreme dryness, rough brittleness, fragility, etc.
You will avoid these consequences by taking great care of your hair. Hair masks  are similar to deep conditioners, but there is a slight difference between them.
Hair masks are actually workable on hair that has been relaxed and chemically treated, while deep conditioners work to soften the hair.
Like deep conditioners, you can also prepare hair masks with home ingredients by mixing them accordingly:
- Aloe Vera hair mask
- Besan, eggs, banana with olive oil
- Honey with egg and apple cider vinegar
- Coconut oil with sugar and essential oil
- Cinnamon and coconut oil
- Avocado with banana
- Gooseberry with coconut oil
Apply with the following process:
- Prepare your hair mask with any of the mentioned mixtures
- Apply the hair mask on your dry hair
- Apply gently from the roots to the ends
- Wait for 30-45 minutes
- Rinse it off with shampoo and use a regular conditioner
Here’s a quick video recap:
You can also opt for the best hair mask for rebonded hair to skip the preparation stage. But we strongly recommend you go the organic and nature route and avoid products using harmful chemicals.
1. Hair Rebonding: What to Expect [Internet]. Healthline. 2020. Available from: https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/hair-rebonding#:~:text=Hair%20rebonding%20is%20a%20way
2. Goodbye, Dry Hair: How to Deep Condition at Home Like a Pro [Internet]. Healthline. 2021 [cited 2022 Feb 2]. Available from: https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/how-to-deep-condition-hair
3. Healthy Hair Every Day [Internet]. WebMD. Available from: https://www.webmd.com/beauty/keep-hair-hydrated
4. 10 Foods for Healthy Hair [Internet]. WebMD. Available from: https://www.webmd.com/beauty/ss/slideshow-foods-healthy-hair
5. Home Hair Masks That Actually Work [Internet]. Byrdie. Available from: https://www.byrdie.com/hair-mask-recipes-for-damaged-hair-346747
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Writer and Content Manager at InStraight. Lovella’s philosophy is that everybody’s beauty is merely a reflection of loving yourself . ♀️ She loves to write and discover new cultures. Find her on Facebook