Wondering how to straighten your curly hair without heat?
Well, you’re in luck today.
I have 3a medium curls, and I never thought I could straighten my wavy hair without the use of heat and chemicals.
Here’s how I get curly to straight hair without heat.
How to Straighten your Curly Hair without Heat
Nearly everyone with curly hair has wanted to straighten their locks at one point.
While struggling with my curls, I have always searched for a natural, damage-free way to flatten my hair.
Luckily, some of them have brought significant results.
While the methods mainly depend on curls and your hair type, regular treatment can give a promising result.
Here are some methods that actually worked for me.
1. Use Straightening Shampoo and Conditioner
What kind of shampoo do you use?
Curly hair needs straightening shampoo with superior ingredients like polymers and silicones to minimize its tendency to curl up.
Like OGX Brazilian Keratin Smooth Shampoo, Shampoo can soften your hair and improve the texture.
A leave-in conditioner or a smoothing serum like Giovanni Repairing Hair Oil Serum will make your hair smooth and silky.
Regular use can give you the straight hair you want.
2. Massage Your Scalp with Hot Oil
Massaging your scalp and hair with hot oil makes your hair straighten naturally.
I usually mix some of my favorite oils ; coconut oil, olive oil, and castor oil.
They nourish hair from inside and grow new hair too.
You can also use Mustard, almond, or tea tree oil.
Whichever you choose, heat it for a few seconds to one minute in a bowl until it feels warm to the touch. NOT HOT, just warm.
When the heat is just right, apply it both on your scalp and hair shaft and massage thoroughly.
Leave it overnight or wait three to four hours before washing.
Repeat this daily, or you can apply three to four times a week to see the magic.
Here’s how you do it
Related: Best type 3 hair products.
3. Apply Homemade Egg Mask
Flattening your hair permanently at home without breaking the bank and heat damage isn’t impossible at all.
You can do this with an easy homemade hair mask.
Aren’t you curious how?
Well, take an egg from your kitchen and whisk it with one cup of olive oil.
Your mask is ready!
- Put this mask on your scalp and hair.
- Then use a shower cap to cover your head.
- Keep this on for at least one hour to overnight, if possible, and wash with cold water and shampoo.
You will get salon-type silky straight hair by using it every 15 days.
4. Use Hair Pack Made of Yoghurt and Banana
If you cannot stand the odor of eggs, then you may try this hair pack.
It’s easy to make and is enriched with vitamins that restore the frizz and natural curl of your hair.
The ingredients are none other than banana and yogurt.
- Smash a ripe banana and mix it well with two tablespoons of yogurt and the same amount of honey.
- Apply this pack on every inch of your hair and wrap it with a shower cap for at least one hour.
- After that, wash it with shampoo and apply conditioner.
You can repeat this twice a month for straighter hair.
For very curly hair, you can use it once a week.
Here’s a detailed tutorial on how to make the mask
5. Drying Hair with Extra Absorbent Towel
All your attempts will be futile if you rub your damp hair.
I had this bad habit that highly damaged my hair; I am struggling to overcome it.
Drying wet hair with a microfiber towel will absorb the water and make It less prone to frizz
6. Wrap Wet Hair
There’s an easy way to strengthen your hair!
- You have to comb the wet hair and split it into several sections.
- Then wrap each section against your head and pin them up.
- After pinning every section, let it fully dry. You may need at least six hours for it to dry.
- You can wrap a silk scarf around your head to save it from frizz.
Just and dry and there you go- sleek hair, just like that.
Here’s a detailed tutorial
7. Use Big-sized Hair Rollers
For long hair, it’s hard to wrap it around your head.
In this case, you can use jumbo rollers.
You will need about six of them; plastic rollers work better.
It’s almost the same as before!
- Comb wet hair,
- Divide the hair into sections of six,
- Wrap the sections around the rollers and keep them overnight.
No more bad hair days -your hair will be less voluminous and straight the following day.
8. Brush Wet Hair till Dry
Forget to roll your hair last night?
There’s still a way that doesn’t take much time.
Brushing wet hair with a fine-toothed comb frequently until it dries helps a lot.
While brushing, pull your hair tightly, and hold it for a few minutes.
Repeating this technique makes your hair straighten out.
9. Use Hair Bands on Ponytail
This technique is handy for protecting your hair from breakage and making it straight.
- First, apply some leave-in conditioner or light oil all over your hair.
- Then you can make one or two ponytails and then add more soft hairbands like Hoyols Seamless Cotton Hair Band accordingly to the tip. It’s better if the hair is moist or wet.
A curly hair ponytail with a silk or satin cloth before banding is preferable to avoid extra curves.
Tying up the pony will work the same if it isn’t possible.
Keep it on overnight, and the following day you will wake up with your hair ready.
10. Make a Hair Bun
Inspired by the Japanese top bun hairstyle, I started to make a bun on top of my head daily.
Surprisingly, I noticed that my hair started to flatten.
It won’t straighten dense curls, but it will stretch your hair naturally.
Wet hair that’s long enough to make a bun is good to go.
- Brush your dry hair,
- Then knot a bun on top of your head and leave it for hours.
It will give you a lovely wavy pattern or even a straight style depending on how curly your hair is.
11. Blow Dry Your Hair with Cool Air
You cannot use heat tools, but that doesn’t mean you will throw away the hairdryers entirely.
Most blow dryers have a cold air setting (the lowest setting) that emits cool air.
You can use this method when other natural techniques don’t straighten Type 3 curly hair.
- To start, apply some blow-dry cream such as Shea Moisture Blow Dry Creme after combing your hair.
- Then use both your fingers and a comb to straighten your hair.
- Hold the hair straight for a few seconds and keep blowing cold air, continuing this process till dry. It will take more time than a flat iron, but worth trying.
Alternatively, you can choose to have your hair air dry and it will work just as good.
It’s easy to feel intimidated when looking at the number of hair products available for straightening curly hair.
But really, you only need three essential products to straighten your curly hair: a cream/lotion, a gel, and a hairspray.
After that, it’s mostly about finding the right combination of these basics that work best with your hair texture and curl pattern to give you the most effective results possible.
So don’t be afraid to experiment and see what works best for you!
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Martina is a graduated Doctor of Dental Medicine with a huge obsession for anything beauty-related. Her freelance writing started out as a creative outlet and turned out to be a full-time job. If you have any beauty questions, the chances are Martina has the answers. You can find more about her HERE. Follow her on LINKEDIN , INSTAGRAM