Straightening your curly hair not only gives you a new hairstyle but also gives you a whole different look overall.
In this modern era, there are many ways invented by hair specialists which work great to transform your curls into straight hair. In this article, from our days of research, we are gathering up a few of the most efficient methods to straighten curly hair at salons and at your home.
Here is a presentation of both types of methods in the following.
Check: Natural Hair Blowout Tutorial
1. Flat Iron
A flat iron is one of the most common ways to straight curly hair. People can perform the process at home very easily if they have a good quality straightener product.
- To straight your curly hair with a flat iron it is important to wash your hair properly and dry them out with a good blow dryer. Blow-dry your hair until it is slightly damp. Hair drying helps to boost the straightening process because dryers themselves straight your hair a little.
- Tangled hair will make complications while straightening. To get rid of them, comb or brush your hair after drying.
- Before starting with the flat iron, apply a heat protectant to your hair. It greatly prevents your hair from all possible heat damages.
- Heat up your straightener now, but do it according to the thickness of your curly hair. Many people have curly but thin hair and some of the people have very thick curly hair. Hair experts suggest 300-350ºF for the medium thickness of hair. For thin curly hair, the temperature should be below 300 ºF and thick curly hair needs over 400 ºF heat.
- Now you are all set to start straightening. Section off your hair and start straightening from the root to the tip and you are good to go.
- Remember to use a flat iron that comes with advanced technology and offers material like ceramic, tourmaline or titanium.
You will want to check our buying guide: best hair straightener for curly hair
As we were talking about the straightening process with a flat iron, there are two more popular ways in which flat irons are used but the straighteners are not the primary tool. Let’s talk about those ways.
2. Keratin Treatment
Keratin treatments are becoming more and more popular and to straighten your hair with this method, we suggest going to a salon.
The main difference between a flat iron and keratin treatment is keratin treatment straightens your hair and keeps it straight for a longer period, around a few months. Keratin is a natural protein that is already in your hair.
But day by day the amount of keratin in your hair decreases and with this treatment, hair experts add this protein additionally which actually helps to straighten curly hair. Check the side effects of keratin treatment before making any decision.
The process is very simple.
- Washing your hair with a good shampoo is important to open the cuticles.
- After washing, towel dry or blow-dry your hair but do not dry them completely.
- Section off your hair and apply a good reconstructor solution with an applicator brush. Most of the cases, experts suggest 60 ml of solution is good.
- Apply the solution from root to tip but do not apply it directly to the scalp.
- After applying finely, use a fine-tooth comb to remove the extra products which are applied.
- Wrap your hair with a clear foil and keep it 5 minutes.
- After removing the foil, blow-dry your hair completely with a brush. Or you can use a blow dryer with a comb attachment.
- Apply a heat protectant spray.
- Now start the straightening process with a keratin flat iron But keep the heat in a tolerable temperature according to the thickness of your curly hair.
3. Hair Relaxer
Hair relaxer works the opposite way the keratin treatment works. Instead of adding any extra protein to your hair, in hair relaxing treatment, it breaks down the protein bonds of your hair and when a certain number of protein bonds in curly hair are broken, it becomes amazingly straight. People should not try this process at home at any cost because only and only hair experts can make this treatment successful because this treatment is very sensitive. If you break more than a certain number of bonds, your hair will be damaged and if you break less number of bonds than a certain number, you may not get straight hair. But when hair experts do it successfully, it works like a charm. You get straight hair for a really long time, like six months.
- Apply chemicals or relaxers to your hair after sectioning your hair.
- Wash your hair with a good shampoo and conditioner and dry out your hair.
- Use a heat protectant serum and flat iron your hair to straighten your hair at its best (do not forget to use the right temperature)
4. Milk & Honey
- Take half a cup of milk. Milk helps to sustain your hair for its protein.
- Take 3 Tbsp. honey. Honey is good because it can control the frizzes of curly hair and seal the dampness.
- Blend the milk and honey.
- Section your hair and apply the blend on your hair.
- Keep the blend on your hair for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, wash your hair with a good shampoo.
- Must use a conditioner after that.
- Apply the blend once in a week.
5. Lemon Juice & Coconut Milk Mask
- Take 1 Tbsp. of lemon juice. Lemon juice is naturally very good to straighten curly hair.
- Take a quarter cup of coconut milk.
- Blend them finely. This blend helps to condition your hair and provides vitamin C to your hair scalp.
- Keep it in the freezer for 8 hours.
- Apply the blend on your hair, root to tips very properly.
- Keep the blend on your hair for half an hour.
- Wash your hair with cool water and use a mild shampoo.
- Use this mask once every week for better result.
6. Egg & Olive Oil Mixture
- Take 2 whole eggs. The protein presented in eggs helps to make your hair silky.
- Take 3 Tbsp. olive oil – it is an amazing natural conditioner for your hair.
- Make a smooth blend with these two ingredients.
- Apply the blend on your hair and leave it for an hour.
- After 60 minutes, wash your hair with a shampoo which is sulfur-free.
- Use of this blend once in a week can straighten your curly hair very nicely.
7. Aloe Vera Gel with Olive or Coconut Oil
- Take a quarter cup of Aloe Vera gel – it makes your hair silky and develops your hair from inside.
- Take a quarter cup of coconut oil or olive oil and warm it up.
- Mix the warm oil with Aloe Vera gel properly. This blend is very good because the mentioned ingredients are able to hydrate your hair shaft and remove all the frizzes for your hair.
- Apply it to your hair and wait for 45 minutes
- Wash your hair with cool water and do not forget to apply shampoo and a good conditioner.
- Using this mixture once in a week to your hair will make your curly hair straight like a charm.
Must-Read: can aloe vera straighten curly hair
Straightening curly hair gives people a whole different look as we mentioned before, and to pull off the new style many of them are willing to follow any kind of method. Some of them are even ready to spend a good amount of money to straighten their hair from hair experts or salons. Some of them want to be economic but still, want to bring a change to their curly hair. Here, we have given solutions to all of those hair fashionistas. We have mentioned both costly salon process and home remedies to straighten curly hair. So which one is your pick?
- “Is Milk Good for Hair? Benefits and How to Apply.” 2021. STYLECRAZE. July 23, 2021. https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/straighten-hair-naturally-milk/.
- Paris, L’Oréal. 2021. “Relaxed-Hair.” L’Oréal Paris. L’Oréal Paris. May 2021. https://www.lorealparisusa.com/beauty-magazine/hair-care/all-hair-types/relaxed-hair.
- Watson, Kathryn. 2018. “What Is Keratin?” Healthline. Healthline Media. January 24, 2018. https://www.healthline.com/health/keratin.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Writer and Content Manager at InStraight. Lovella’s philosophy is that everybody’s beauty is merely a reflection of loving yourself . ♀️ She loves to write and discover new cultures. Find her on Facebook