Tired of having flat, lackluster locks of hair?
Want to add volume and bounce in your manes?
Well, then you have come to the right place.
In this article, we have talked about a few super easy yet effective ways to add volume to your fine hair with a flat iron so that you can turn your gloomy hair day into a sexy, lustrous hair day within a couple of minutes enjoy bodylicious tresses all day long.
The top 3 ways you can add volume to your otherwise flat tresses are:
- Bevel the tresses
- Create big curls and waves
- Form small curls and ringlets
Now you might be thinking about how to adorn your flat, limp hairs with the above hairstyles. Well, to make it easier for you, we have come up with step-by-step rules that you should follow in order to add that luscious volume and body in your manes you have dreamt of.
But then again, before trying any heat styling in your precious tresses, you MUST prepare them properly so that you can style your manes perfectly as well as also protect them from any heat damage and hair breakage.
The Preparation Stage
- Start off your preparation by washing your tresses with a voluminizing shampoo, like the Luxurious Volume Full Splendor Shampoo by John Frieda, to not only clean your scalp and hairs but also to add some extra bounce and body to your hairs. Moreover, neat and clean manes will give you an excellent base for the styling.
- On the other hand, if you already washed your manes 1-2 days prior and don’t want to wash them again, you can opt for a dry shampoo to clean your tresses without even wetting them with water. We would suggest this Batiste Dry Shampoo, Cherry Fragrance to remove debris and dirt from your hairs and add texture and volume to them.
- Once you are done with washing and cleaning your hairs, now it’s time to dry them completely because wet or damp hair strands have the potential to suffer from severe heat burns and damages from a flat iron. For the drying session, use a blow dryer (we prefer the Remington D3190 Damage Protection Hair Dryer) and dry your manes upside down to add a bit of extra volume and bounce.
- When all your hair locks are fully dried, comb through them with a big brush and get rid of any knots and kinks, and apply some heat protectant to save your precious manes from the heat that you are about to apply to them. The HSI PROFESSIONAL Argan Oil Heat Protector is our top favorite heat protectant as it provides superior shield without weighing down your manes.
Now that you are done with preparing your hair perfectly, it’s time to move on to the actual process of adding luscious volume to them using a flat iron.
Be sure to also check out: How does Volumizing Shampoo Work.
1. Bevel the Tresses
For this technique of adding volume to your tresses, we would recommend that you choose a flat iron with 1 ¼ inch floating plates for fine hair to add volume, such as this Rusk Engineering Heat Freak Professional Ceramic & Tourmaline Straight Iron.
This is one of the Best Flat Irons for Natural Hair as it provides a superior shield without weighing down your manes. When you flip the iron, the beveled edges of floating plates makes sure your hair strands don’t suffer from any breakage and deterioration.
- Step 1: Section off your tresses horizontally into 3 parts; one at the crown, one just below the crown and the last one at the back and secure them with hair clips.
- Step 2: Now take a section of hair from the back part and place the straightener as close as possible to the roots, flip it inward and hold the iron in this position for 2-3 seconds before pulling it downwards.
- Step 3: Now using a rat tail comb tease the roots very lightly to add some additional volume and body to the roots.
- Step 4: Repeat this flipping and pulling technique for the rest of the sections until all your manes have flawless volume and bounce.
- Step 5: Then brush your manes very lightly for a polished look and spritz on some finishing spray so that the style remains in your tresses for a long period of time. We prefer the TRESemmé Extra Hold Hair Spray for superior hold without any stiffness.
2. Create Big Curls & Waves
Another way of adding lust-worthy volume to your flat tresses is by creating big curls and waves to them, and for waving purposes we prefer a flat iron with 1-2 inch plates (depending on your hair’s length) with beveled edges.
You might try the INFINITI PRO BY CONAIR Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron for beach waves and big curls also.
- Step 1: Begin by sectioning off your hairs. If you have short manes, make two parts, one at the front and one at the back and secure them with clips. On the other hand, if your tresses are long, you must section them into 6-8 parts and keep them separated clips while you work with one part.
- Step 2: Then take a 1-inch section of your hair and place them between the blazing plates of the straightening iron. Then twist your wrist towards or away from your face so that your hair strands lean over the straightener while you smoothly glide them down to the end to create a wavy pattern in your hair locks.
- Step 3: Continue repeating this method in all your hair section until all your manes are waved flawlessly.
- Step 4: Then run your fingers through your tresses to interconnect the do and finish off by spraying some holding spray for an all-day sexy, voluminous outlook.
3. Form Small Curls and Ringlets
Small, tight ringlets and curls are also a great way to add volume to your hair locks. To adorn your manes with this hairdo, you need a straightening iron with floating plates that are 1-inch or narrower in width. The Conair Instant Heat 3/4-inch Ceramic Flat Iron would be a great choice to create small curls and ringlets.
- Step 1: Follow step 1 of the previous section.
- Step 2: Now take a section of your hair, place it an inch from the roots and clamp tightly.
- Step 3: Holding the plates in place, start rotating the iron while you pull it downwards to create curls in your locks.
- Step 4: Repeat this technique for all the sections until all your manes have a curly pattern in them.
- Step 5: Now comb your tresses for a more polished look and spritz on some finishing spray for all hay hold.
- AMANDA ELSER, A Quick And Easy Way To Get Volume With Your Flat Iron
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Writer and Content Manager at InStraight. Lovella’s philosophy is that everybody’s beauty is merely a reflection of loving yourself . ♀️ She loves to write and discover new cultures. Find her on Facebook