If you’re like me, then you absolutely love the fact that you can get a makeup mirror with a built-in light.
It makes it so much easier to see every little detail of your face and know if your makeup is blended in properly.
But then, are LED makeup mirrors bad for your eyes?
So before you rush out to buy one for yourself, there are things you should know about these types of mirrors and whether the hype surrounding them is worth it or not.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
How Harmful Are LED Lights to the Eyes?
Today, LED lights are the most common on a makeup vanity mirror. I have noticed that warm lights are gentler to the eyes than other alternative lighting sources like blue ones.
But then too much exposure to white and cold color LED lights can cause severe eye damage and headache.  These are two visible signs and symptoms.
But then too much exposure to white and cold color LED lights can cause severe eye damage and headache.
These are two visible signs and symptoms.
Let us find out other adverse effects of different LED lights.
White and warm LED light effects
Exposure to warm white LEDs will not damage your eyes. But this does not mean that you should spend a lot of time exposed to warm white LED light.
I would suggest adjusting the light when doing your makeup.
Blue LED lights effects
Most electronic devices like computers, laptops, digital TV screens, and smartphones produce blue lights.
Overexposure to this light can lead to “computer vision syndrome.” This is a condition that causes headaches and dry eyes.
Blue light can also lead to sleep dysfunction. A condition that affects standard sleep patterns, difficulty sleeping, and poor eyesight.
Retina damage because of over-exposure to blue light is irreversible.
Other long-term effects of blue light include muscular degeneration, sleep distortion, and permanent damage to the retina.
According to Dr. Singh, “There’s always a concern about children’s screen exposure.” “The younger the generation, the more exposure they have to screens and blue light from these LED-backlit devices.  They’re getting far more exposure to this than we did in the past.”
Here is more information to help you understand more about the adverse effects of LED light on the eyes.
How can we protect our eyes from LED light?
When applying makeup, you can’t wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from the LED light. But, you can try a few practical solutions to protect your eyes.
According to Biology and Genetics in Vision Research,  intense blue light can often impair vision by damaging the retina.
Here are 6 effective ways.
1. Do not stare at LED light for extended periods.
Always avoid staring at the light for more than 20 minutes when applying makeup. This also applies to electronic devices with blue light.
If you want to stay on your computer longer, use antiglare/no-glare lenses.
2. Limit the amount of time you spend focused on LED light.
Overexposure to the light is harmful to your health. At least spend 11 to 15 minutes in front of a vanity mirror.
3. Adjust or turn the lights off.
Always dim a vanity mirror with lights or turn any white light off after using it.
4. Embrace natural light.
Natural light adds even brightness to a room. It also neutralizes LED illumination to your eyes.
You can also turn on the overhead light bulb if the natural light is not enough.
5. Keep a safe distance from the lights.
Keep a safe distance from the LED source. Do not apply makeup with your face placed too close to the LED light bulbs or incandescent bulbs.
You should adjust the brightness if you do not have the perfect vision. You should also dim the LED lights if you feel some itchiness or irritation.
6. Only use quality LED light.
The quality of LED light on makeup mirrors varies. Check the quality of the light before purchasing a cosmetic mirror.
You should only pick the recommended low-intensity soft & diffuse light. These lights are not harmful to the retina.
Find out more tips in this short 5-minutes video.
Difference between LED Makeup Mirrors and Other Mirrors (for your vision)
There are a few differences between an LED makeup mirror and an ordinary mirror.
The major significant difference between the two is an acute reflection.
Ordinary mirrors reflect natural light from the surrounding environment without intensifying extra effects. For instance, if it is dark, the reflection will also be unclear.
LED makeup mirrors emulate natural light. This makes it easy to see even the very minute details. You can also dim the lights on an LED mirror to cater to your specific liking. A functionality that is not available with ordinary mirrors.
Are LED lights better for your eyes than fluorescent?
Fluorescent tubes produce ultraviolet light that is harmful to the eyes.
It is dangerous to overexpose yourself to this particular light.
Harsh fluorescent lighting can cause blurred vision and eye strain.
“Overexposure to UV rays is harmful to the retina but beneficial to the skin. As Dr. Celia Sánchez-Ramos puts it in the Daily Mail article,”  “Eyes are not designed to look at light—they are designed to see with light.”
LED light produces warm, gentle light that does not damage the eyes. Blue LED light is not always recommended for applying makeup.
So, LED lights are better for your eyes than fluorescent. Replace any fluorescent bulbs with LED light bulbs.
How to use an LED Makeup mirror for boosted performance
Makeup mirrors are easy to use. You should understand how to position your face when using LED makeup mirrors
Here are two ways to use an LED-powered makeup mirror for boosted performance.
1. Make sure you sit at least 12 inches from the mirror plane
When doing your makeup, ensure that the makeup mirror is not less than 1 foot from your face.
This protects your eyes from the LED light and allows you to hold makeup tools like eye pencils.
2. Dim the LED lights according to your preferences
If you are applying makeup in the middle of the day, ensure that the LED lights are dim enough. Particularly for bright white LED lights.
It is always recommended to embrace natural lighting while applying makeup.
Here is a video from makeup artist Dillio explaining how to use a makeup mirror.
Here are the four top LED mirrors for the perfect makeup session
Consider these seven factors before purchasing a vanity mirror. For the best makeup session.
Note that frameless Hollywood mirror with lights is the best makeup mirror. These mirrors have the following 7 properties.
- Lighted quality makeup mirror
- Touch-up only mirror
- Design: Wall-mounted or freestanding
- For tweezing or shaving
TOP four LED mirrors for the perfect makeup session
- Dimmable LED bulbs
- Touch sensor
- 6 super bright LED bulbs
- 360 degrees rotation
- 5-minute auto shut off
- 6 SUPER BRIGHT LED LIGHTS are built into the Danielle mirror for a more complete uniform lighting. The LONG LIFE LEDs will give you thousands of hours of bright, yet soft light for your make up.
- TOUCH DIMMER FOR THREE LIGHT LEVELS of dimming (or brightening) - as required to provide soft or a strong lighting. Particularly convenient for the finer nuances of accentuating the eyebrow!
- 360 DEGREE ROTATION FOR OPTIMAL VIEWING - a feature that you always wished for in a mirror. Adjust the angle as you want to visualize your facial features clearly and complete your look for the day
- 5 MINUTE AUTO SHUT OFF - Convenient touch button with a built in auto shut-off for enhanced battery life. Enhances LED life as well.
- SLEEK AND STYLISH IN A RIGHT SIZE - With a 10" Width and 13.75" Height, the super slim design adds a decorative yet elegant touch on your desktop, the counter, the dresser or your bathroom.
- High-quality nickel material that does not corrode
- Many power supply system
- 360° rotation
- Comes with natural soft bright light
- 【Advanced Lighted Makeup Mirror】The Vanity mirror is built in 28 medical grade lamp beads, illuminated with natural and soft lights on both side. With double function button- Switch On/Off and brightness adjustment. The brightness can be adjusted at your random by spinning the button
- 【Senior Pearl Nickel Process】Mirror frame, column and base are made of an high-grade and expensive metal material- Pearl Nickel, which is chemically stable with strong anti-corrosion properties. No reflection and glare, and no fingerprints
- 【360° Rotatable & 1X/10X Double-Sided Design】The 360° swivel design can easily find the angle you want. Rotation function has been tested and indicates its durability and non-loose properties. 10X magnification provides more precise details when you want to makeup flawlessly, such as applying mascara, eyeliner, eyebrow, contact lenses, lipstick etc
- 【Multiple Power Supply Methods】It can be powered by the AC Adaptor (included)）or 4*AA dry batteries (Not included) can last hours for common daily use, easily use NIESO makeup mirror without plugging in all the time
- 【Multiple Uses & Gift Choice】Not only a professional makeup mirror, it can also be used as a desk lamp, night light, ambient lights and etc. All these advantages make it perfect especially for family, friends as a wonderful gift
- Available with incandescent light that produces soft halo light that is visually clear
- Features 1X magnification and 7X magnification levels for precise grooming and tweezing sessions
- Modern polished chrome finish
- Lighted Vanity Makeup Mirror: This plug-in double-sided lighted makeup mirror uses incandescent light that provides a soft halo light, perfect for clear viewing.
- Picture Perfect Makeup Mirror: This double-sided lighted makeup mirror features 1X and 7X magnification perfect for tweezing and grooming with precision and accuracy. It rotates 360 degree to adjust to any angle for easy viewing.No Lubrication is needed
- Stylish Surroundings: This 6.5" x 8.5" oval mirror features a stylish polished chrome finish that compliments any decor. The On and Off switch is conveniently located on the 5ft line cord. Reflection will be distorted or inverted if not within 6" of mirror.
- Reflections: Conair Reflections Mirrors are available in a variety of sizes, styles and finishes, featuring a range of magnifications and light settings to enhance your daily makeup and grooming routines. Battery operated or line cord options available.
- Beauty Tools from Conair: Our beauty tools line includes high-quality tools ranging from facial brushes, makeup applicators, light therapy treatments, mani or pedi tools, spa solutions and lighted makeup mirrors. Conair makes tools for all your beauty needs
This is the best makeup mirror for anyone wearing glasses or contact lenses.
- 5-inch adjustable gooseneck. You can adjust the height to fit your preference
- Powerful 10-Times magnification levels to enhance focus on the face
- Powerful Suction Cup to secure attachment against the wall
- 360° rotation
- ❤Upgraded Flexible Gooseneck: Different from other ordinary makeup mirror, with 11.5 inch adjustable gooseneck, you don’t have to climb onto the vanity to get up close to the mirror, you can stand up in front of the vanity and adjust the height via the gooseneck to find those perfect viewing angles every time!
- ❤10x Magnification Flexible Mirror: Powerful 10X magnification allows you to focus in on a specific section of your face, ideal for doing makeup, removing contacts, putting on lipstick, eyeliner, eyebrow tweezing, contact lens placement, mascara and eye shadow! 10X is VERY STRONG and your face needs to be within 3 INCHES of the mirror for a clear undistorted image.
- ❤Natural Daylight: The flexible mirror equipped with 14 energy-efficient environmental daylight LED beads, which can reflect true colors for a natural look, avoiding awkward makeup disasters!
- ❤Powerful Suction Cup & Cordless: 360° rotation with locking suction cup provides a secure attachment, simply twist to lock the suction cup on your mirror, fully adjustable to any desired position when makeup! Operated with 3 AAA Batteries (Included), when folded, takes up less than 1/2 square foot of space, which makes it a perfect travel mirror too(only 16oz).
- ❤All of our flexible mirror are rigorously tested and made with honest, you have no need to worry about getting a defective product. Let's save your time and make decision now!
According to senior chemist Sabina Wizemann from goodhousekeeping.com, “she likes how larger makeup mirrors are better than standard compact mirrors and much easier to hold, thanks to the fold-out ring in the back.”
Also, “sun-simulating lights and magnification make the best vanity mirrors when traveling or keeping it in the bag. For quick makeup touchups.”
If you have poor vision, you should consider the best makeup mirror for bad eyesight.
Check out this video to find out more about ideal LED makeup mirrors.
Are lighted mirrors good for makeup?
Yes. Lighted mirrors are good for makeup. Lights around the mirror enhance visibility during makeup application.
Is LED light good for applying makeup?
Yes. LED is ideal during makeup application. LED not only produces enough light. LED light is sharp and replicates natural light.
Are lighted vanity mirrors worth it?
Yes. Lighted vanity mirrors are worth it. This is because of their ability to illuminate enough light during makeup sessions.
Is LED bad for your eyes?
LED is not bad for your eyes. But, overexposure to blue LED light is harmful to your eyes. This light can cause irreversible eye damage.
So, are lighted bathroom mirrors worth it? Or are they bad for your eyes?
There doesn’t seem to be any definitive proof that LED makeup mirrors to cause side effects like eye strain. However, prolonged exposure to the light emitted by these mirrors could contribute to eye fatigue.
LED lighting can affect everyone in different ways depending on an individual’s physiology.
So if you are concerned about potential damage to your eyes or other bodily systems, it is best to consult with a medical expert before using the mirror at all.
Do you use LED makeup mirrors? Please share your experience below!
- 1. Exposure to LED lights could be harmful; scientists suggest a simple solution. www.downtoearth.org.in. https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news/environment/exposure-to-led-lights-could-be-harmful-scientists-suggest-a-simple-solution-58544
- 2. Are LED Lights Damaging Your Retina? Cleveland Clinic. Published August 9, 2019. Accessed April 19, 2022. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/are-led-lights-damaging-your-retina/#:~:text=A%202012%20Spanish%20study%20found
- 3. Tosini G, Ferguson I, Tsubota K. Effects of blue light on the circadian system and eye physiology. Molecular vision. 2016;22:61-72. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4734149/
- 4. Reilly R. Do “environmentally friendly” LED lights cause BLINDNESS?. Mail Online. Published May 14, 2013. Accessed April 19, 2022. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2324325/Do-environmentally-friendly-LED-lights-cause-BLINDNESS.html
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Edith is a self-made entrepreneur with a keen business sense that others admire and a total “can-do” attitude. She’s always coming up with new ideas to anticipate her readers’ needs and help solve all their toughest beauty and skincare problems. You can find more about her Here. FOLLOW HER on Linkedin and FACEBOOK and ThoseGraces Beauty Blog
Last update on 2022-05-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API