Are you tired of the volume, unnecessary knots, and coils in your natural hair? Are you looking for a styling tool that would help you eliminate these problems without damaging your precious hair locks?
If so, then you have come to the right place!
The answer to your problems is a HOT HAIR COMB!!
This article discusses and explains everything you need to know about this hair styling tool and lists the Best Hot Combs for Natural Hair to find the right comb for your manes.
So without any further ado, let’s begin.
- Hot Combs Buying Guide For Natural Hair
- Top Hot Combs For Natural Hair
- Our Final Verdict
A Quick Review of Our Top Favorite Hot Combs for Natural Hair
We have picked some of the best hot combs available in the market to style and straighten your natural tresses precisely with extreme care and attention. Before going into elaborate details, let’s take a sneak peek of the products.
|Andis High Heat Press Comb|
|Gold N Hot Professional Styling Comb|
|Laila Ali Gold Plated Heated Styling Comb|
|Conair Hype Hair Ultra-Hot Hot Comb|
Hot Combs Buying Guide For Natural Hair
What is a Hot Comb?
A hot comb (or a straightening comb) is a metal comb that uses electricity or fire to gain heat and straighten natural and primarily black hair to turn it into silky, smooth tresses.
The concept and design of a hot comb were invented and developed by Annie Malone in the early 1920s to make it easier for African-American women to tame frizzy, thick hair and straighten the coils’ versatile look. Annie herself was a black woman and, therefore, understood the intricacies of this type of natural hair completely.
Even though a hot comb is also used for hair straightening purposes, it is different from a flat iron or a hot airbrush. The much wider and finer teeth of this comb glide through your natural hair effortlessly without any snagging or pulling. Simultaneously, the teeth reach the hair roots’ edges for a more precise and persistent straightening result.
Men can also use this hot styling tool to detangle their beard as natural, 4c hairs and beards have a similar texture, and a hot comb will do full justice even on man-beards.
Note: You cannot use this tool on fine hair.
Types of Hot Comb
The most popular types of hot combs that are available in the market are:
Stove Hot Comb
A hair straightening comb that uses the open fire of a gas stove or electric stove to gain heat for the styling session is known as a stove hot comb. This comb doesn’t come with a cord, a plug socket, or any temperature settings like an electric comb (to make you aware of the exact heat level you apply on your manes). Instead, it comes only with a heat resistant handle to save your hand from burning.
You might still be wondering how to heat this comb?
Hold the comb on the stove fire (or against the hot burner in case of an electric stove) so that the teeth can gain heat from the fire for the styling and straightening process.
We don’t prefer the stove hot comb for styling and straightening hair because:
- Heating the comb with a stove is too dangerous, even for expert users, as there’s always that fire hazard risk.
- Even when you manage to heat this comb with a stove, you need to test it on white paper or cloth quite a few times to ensure that the heat level is perfect for applying to your hair. This process is quite time-consuming.
- Moreover, after running the comb through your hair a few times, it will begin to lose its heat, and therefore, you need to heat it again over the flame. Heating and reheating it periodically will waste a lot of your time and might take hours to straighten your hair completely.
Electric Hot Comb
On the other hand, an electric hot comb is a metal hair comb that uses electrical power to gain the required amount of heat to adorn your manes with versatile hairstyles. Generally, electric combs are made from different materials like ceramic, tourmaline, and gold (materials that are a good conductor of heat and beneficial for hair). They come with various temperature settings so that you can choose and adjust the heat level according to your need and hair texture.
We always prefer and recommend the electric hot comb for straightening black manes because:
- This type of hot comb gets heated up very quickly (around 30 seconds after plugging in the tool) and safely, unlike stove hot combs. You don’t have to worry about overheating the tool or burning your hand while using an electric comb.
- Additionally, an electric comb ensures constant power flow to keep the teeth hot for as long as you use it. This means that you don’t have to reheat it periodically to maintain the temperature for a precise and consistent styling session.
- Furthermore, as there is a continuous heat supply, you don’t have to worry about the styling duration. Within a couple of minutes (or several minutes in case you have a head full of gorgeous natural manes), you can remove the coils and tame your African-American hair successfully.
What to Look for in a Hot Comb for Natural Hair?
Choosing the best electric hot comb for your black hair is not as difficult and time-consuming as you might think when you know what features and aspects to look for. To make your selection process easier, remember the following tips to score the best hot comb for your natural hair.
The Construction Material
When hair is coarse, thick, and stubborn in nature, it takes quite a lot of effort and dedication to straighten and style it perfectly. That is why you need to be careful about the product’s material when choosing a hot comb for this hair type, as not all the materials are suitable to style black hair.
We would suggest opting for a comb made from titanium, tourmaline, gold, or any hybrid of these three components because they can absorb the highest amount of heat in the shortest time possible. They also retain the heat in the teeth for a long time period to cut down styling time and make sure that your tresses are straightened flawlessly without suffering from any burns and damages.
The Heat Settings
African-American hair can be difficult to style, and therefore, they require a high amount of heat to be straightened. This is why a hot comb’s heat setting is extremely crucial because a relatively lower heat setting won’t straighten natural coarse hair, and a very high setting might burn down your manes completely.
To style your kinky strands quickly yet precisely, we would suggest you select a temperature range between 340° F to 450° F. This heat level will straighten your stubborn natural manes easily with minimum to zero heat damage or burns, making the styling session quick and precise.
We would also suggest that while buying your ultimate hot comb for your manes, look for a tool that comes with a detailed heat control dial. With a labeled dial, it would be easier for you to set your preferred heat level accurately without being blindsided.
Is It Important for a Hot Comb to Have the Instant Heat Recovery Technology?
In a word, yes! But wait, what is an instant heat recovery technology?
Instant heat recovery or uniform heat recovery system is a revolutionary technology used in hair styling tools to maintain a consistent temperature level during the styling session. This system has become a staple and important feature of many hot tools because it helps you straighten your hair flawlessly without any hot spots or damage. It also makes sure that the styling duration is cut down considerably, resulting in a quick straightening result.
A Quick Overview of the Must-have Features
- The Construction Material: Titanium, Tourmaline, Gold or any hybrid of these materials
- The Heat Settings: High (340°F to 450°F)
- Type of the Hot Comb: Electric
- Instant Heat Recovery: Yes
Top Hot Combs For Natural Hair
Natural black hair is super voluminous and needs to be tamed down successfully to attain a silky, smooth outlook. And to turn this hair type into straight locks without kinks and knots, you must use a hot comb that is gentle. The hot comb can style afro hair perfectly without exposing them to unnecessary heat damage and burns, and breakage.
After researching different electric combs from different brands (Andis, Wahl, Conair, Laila Ali, Enzo Milano), we found a few that perform exceptionally well on afro hair compared to other combing tools available in the market.
A Table of Comparison With Proper Justification
|The Must-have Features||Andis High Heat Press Comb||Gold N Hot Professional Styling Comb||Laila Ali Gold Plated Heated Styling Comb||Conair Hype Hair Ultra-Hot Hot Comb||Kentucky Maid SPKM 27 Straightening Comb||Red by Kiss 1/2" Ceramic Tourmaline Root/Edge Straightener|
|Construction Material||Gold Ceramic||24K Gold||Gold||Gold||Brass & Copper||Ceramic Tourmaline|
|Hot Comb Type||Electric||Electric||Electric||Electric||Stove||Electric|
|Heat Settings||20 Heat Levels (highest heat of 450°F)||Multiple Heat Levels (highest heat of 500°F)||Multiple Heat Levels (highest heat of 450°F)||30 Heat Levels (highest heat of 345°F)||None||9 Heat Levels (highest heat of 450°F)|
|Instant Heat Recovery||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|Price Range||Less Than $50 Dollars||Less than $50 Dollars||Less Than $50 Dollars||Less Than $50 Dollars||Less Than $50 Dollars||Less Than $50 Dollars|
Andis High Heat Press Comb
Check Price on Amazon
Ranking Position: #1 Our Opinion: Smooths & Softens Natural Hair Quickly
Andis is one of the oldest brands in the market that manufactures hot combs. It is perfect for making thick hair smooth, flat, and manageable. And because of its amazing features, budget-friendly price tag, and ability to produce knot-free straightened manes, it wasn’t hard for this to make our list.
Andis manufactured this fine comb with 24K gold and coated it with ceramic to ensure a high yet safe application of heat to the hair. Gold is an excellent conductor of heat and gets heat super quickly (the comb heats up in just 30 seconds). The ceramic helps keep the heat regulated so that your delicate hair doesn’t suffer from any heat damages and burns during the combing session.
Furthermore, the teeny-tiny gold particles left in the hair combined with the ceramic’s negative ions keep your manes moisturized and nourished and reduce the possibility of any hair breakage.
Additionally, the gold finish makes the tool super durable.
Another feature that helps retain the temperature level consistent throughout the styling process is the instant heat recovery system. This advanced technology helps the teeth maintain the heat level by sensing any heat loss from the surface and quickly recovering the heat, to style your hair with the least amount of time.
You must know about this professional quality hair styling tool because it comes with 20 different heat settings in the rheostat dial control. This makes it easier for you to choose between your preferred heat levels easily without being confused.
Few Additional Features
- Comes with an auto shut-off feature to ensure the safety of the users
- The tangle-free swivel cord of the tool provides freedom of movement and ease of use.
- The dual voltage feature makes it suitable to use internationally.
- Includes a red indicator light to signal when the comb in on for additional safety
- Conveniently placed controls and switches for extra ease of operation.
- Available in two different colors to choose from
- Andis provides a 5 Year Limited Warranty period for this tool to ensure great performance.
Gold N Hot Professional Styling Comb
Check Price on Amazon
Ranking Position: #2 Our Opinion: Budget-friendly yet Effective at Straightening Natural Hair
This Gold N Hot Professional Styling Comb is an alluring looking hot comb that will undoubtedly enhance your hair’s beauty. This heat styling comb made the second place in our list because it offers all the features we look for in a hot comb for natural hair and a very reasonable price tag.
However, unlike the Andis High Heat Press Comb, it doesn’t come with dual voltage and auto-shutoff feature to provide additional convenience to its users. It still compensates for this with its lower price.
To start with, Gold N Hot constructed the teeth of this styling tool using pure 24K Gold to provide the best styling experience to its users. Besides being nice looking, gold is a good conductor of heat and helps the teeth retain high heat for a long time for a quick and precise styling session.
The gold material also ensures the tool’s extended durability as it is extremely sustainable and doesn’t rust or corrode ever.
Another feature of these teeth that will blow your mind is their shape. The wedge-shaped teeth of this hot comb ensure precise pressing so that you can enjoy perfectly straightened tresses without trying too hard. These teeth also provide immense styling control and convenience.
One more aspect of this styling tool that would make your hair straightening process even more delightful is its temperature control mechanism. Gold N Hot incorporated multiple different heat levels in this comb, ranging from 200°F-500°F so that you have the flexibility to choose just the right heat according to your hair’s tolerance level and styling needs. Moreover, to make choosing between the temperatures extremely easy, this comb has a detailed rheostat dial that can be turned clockwise and anti-clockwise to set the preferred level effortlessly.
Few Additional Features
- The ergonomically designed handle provides a non-slip yet comfortable grip.
- At 12 ounces of weight, this hot comb is super lightweight and easy to maneuver.
- Comes with a 9 ft. long cord with a swivel end for freedom of movement
- The “power indicator light” signals when the tool is plugged in to avoid accidents
- The built-in safety stand ensures additional safety to the user as well as the counter.
- Backed up by a 1 Year Limited Warranty Period to assure phenomenal longevity
Laila Ali Gold Plated Heated Styling Comb
Check Price on Amazon
Ranking Position: #3 Our Opinion: Delivers High Heat for Quick Styling
Another favorite hot comb to smooth and tame natural, African-American hair locks is this Laila Ali styling tool.
Laila Ali constructed this tool’s teeth with 24K gold material to make this comb exceptionally durable and make sure that it can style and straighten your manes super quickly and safely.
The gold teeth of this comb can absorb the highest amount of heat (or your desired temperature level) in just 30 seconds and retains the heat for a long time period so that you can straighten your “difficult to tame” manes easily and effectively. Moreover, the microscopic gold particles from the teeth help enhance the hair follicles, keep hairs moisturized and nourished, and ensure minimal to zero heat damages and burns even after exposing them to such a high amount of heat.
Furthermore, this electric comb comes with a multiple heat settings option accompanied by a detailed labeled rheostat dial control to make it extremely easy for you to choose the preferred heat level easily without much hassle.
And as natural hair locks require more time and heat to straighten properly because of their stubborn nature, Laila Ali made sure that this tool can adopt a maximum 450°F of heat at once. This shortens styling time drastically and yields faster and more effective results.
Additionally, to maintain this heat level throughout the entire straightening session, this hot comb comes with the revolutionary instant heat recovery technology. This helps keep the tool’s temperature consistent and helps reduce the styling time of the session.
Few Additional Features
- Comes with a built-in safety stand for ease of use and maximum safety of the user
- The swivel end of the cord ensures tangle-free, both hand operation.
- Heat resistant handle ensures a comfortable grip and safety of your hands.
- Includes separate on/off switches for more convenience
- Incorporates a red “on” indicator light to provide additional safety measures
Conair Hype Hair Ultra-hot Hot Comb
Check Price on Amazon
Ranking Position: #4 Our Opinion: Styles Hair Without Heat Damage and Hot Spots
Over the past several years, Conair has satisfied its clients with excellent quality and versatile hairstyling tools, and this Hype Hair Ultra-Hot Hot Comb is no different. It comes with more than a few amazing features. Still, it landed itself in the 3rd position because, when compared to our top two preferences, this styling tool has a lower maximum heat level (its highest temperature reach is 345°F). It might take slightly longer to style your natural tresses with this one.
But then again, Conair incorporated an optional Turbo Heat feature to this styling tool that, when activated, increases the temperature of the comb by 36°F so that you have more heat and power to straighten your hair.
The 24K gold material of this tool also helps to style your stubborn thick natural hair. Conair manufactured this electric hair styler’s teeth with gold, an excellent conductor of heat, to heat the comb super quickly with your desired temperature (in just 30 seconds).
Additionally, the gold fabricated teeth adapt to high temperatures very quickly and remain hot for a long time, making it easier for you to straighten your tresses flawlessly without much effort.
The instant heat recovery system also plays a vital role in keeping the tool hot for a long-time period. It senses the slightest amount of heat loss from the surface and automatically reheats it quickly so that there is a consistent heat level throughout the straightening process.
Even though you are applying high heat to your hair for styling purposes, there is little chance of burning or damaging them. The small gold particles from the comb help enhance the hair follicles and keep them well protected by locking in moisture and nourishment to worry about hot spots, heat damage, and hair breakage.
Few Additional Features
- Comes with a heat resistant handle for a safe and comfortable grip
- Includes a labeled rheostat dial control to select the preferred temperature effortlessly.
- The auto-shutoff feature assures additional safety and security.
- Comes in a recyclable package to maintain the environment
- Conair provides a 2-year Limited Warranty period to this tool to ensure durability.
Reasons for Not Choosing
Kentucky Maid SPKM 27 Straightening Comb
This Kentucky Maid hot comb was very popular after it was first released. But because of the following aspects, we couldn’t suggest this tool as one of the best to straighten natural black hair:
- First of all, this SPKM 27 is a stove hot comb, which we do not typically recommend. Stove combs can get very hot and burn your tresses down beyond repair. In a word, this type of tool is incredibly dangerous for your hair and your hand and skin.
- Additionally, as it is a stove tool, there is no temperature control dial or button so that you can choose your desired heat level; the heat is entirely dependent on the time you hold this tool on the flames.
- Furthermore, the brass and copper teeth of this stove comb get exceptionally hot and have the potential to burn and harm your precious tresses as well as your scalp.
Red by Kiss 1/2″ Ceramic Tourmaline Root/Edge Straightener
This Red by Kiss hot comb might make its way to many lists, but we don’t think this is the right tool for styling natural, afro hair locks because:
- Red by Kiss made this comb using ceramic tourmaline material, which is not suitable for thick, black hair because this hybrid element cannot generate as much heat as needed to alter the shape of coarse hair.
- Moreover, one of the must-have features, the instant heat technology, is not present in this tool. This means that this comb cannot maintain the temperature level throughout the styling procedure and often be heated. It would surely take hours to straighten your manes perfectly.
Our Final Verdict
This old school hairstyling comb has been in and out of the game for a century now, and it seems like it is gaining popularity among users once again. Therefore, if you have a head full of gorgeous natural manes and you like to flaunt them without kinks and knots, it’s about time you invest in an excellent hot comb. The electric combs that we have talked about above are the best in the market at the moment, and we can assure you that these tools would fulfill your styling demands and, at the same time would also last for a long time, providing you the best value for your money.
- Hot Styling Tool Guide, Five Hot Combs For Afro Hair and Black Hair, Apr 23, 2019